: Mixing Bowl, Sauce Pan, Measuring Cups and Spoons, Whisk, Baking Dish: 10x13x3-inches
: (Serves 12 hearty portions)
- 2 – 8oz loaves French bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, toasted
- 1 quart milk (may use 2 percent)
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 12 eggs, beaten (may use egg substitute)
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 sticks sweet butter (may use less)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine sugars and divide in half.
- Add cinnamon, eggs, vanilla, bourbon and salt to half of the sugar.
- In a saucepan, combine milk, half & half and butter with the other half of the sugar and bring to a boil.
- Whisk milk mixture into egg mixture, add raisins and apples. Add bread cubes and let stand until soaked through to center.
- Stir in a few raisins from the bottom and sprinkle a few on top.
- Pour into buttered baking dish (10x13x3-inches) and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
If you’d like to see more of Ruth’s signature recipes, visit our Ruth’s Recipes page